The Definition of Insanity
Fiction, 85 min.
by Frank Matter, Robert Margolis
Switzerland / United States, January 2004
They say America is the land of opportunity, but it’s also the land of elusive dreams. The film is an intense and intimate character study about Robert (Robert Margolis), an actor moving past his prime who is still running after that one great role. His life begins to unravel as he struggles to survive in a competitive and often brutal environment without realizing how his obsession affects the people close to him. Like many barely surviving artists he faces the existential question: How much of his life does he want to sacrifice to art? And when is the time to move on?
Open / CloseCredits
World Premiere: January 2004
Original Version: English, colour, 35mm, VideoTransfer, 85 min.
Editing: Robert Margolis, Frank Matter
Music: Paula Atherton, Amy Fairchild
Open / CloseCast
Open / CloseAwards
- Bergamo, Bergamo Film Meeting, Rosa Camuna di Bronzo Audience Award 2005
- Brooklyn, Brooklyn International Film Festival, Best Actor 2005
- Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minneapolis/St. Paul Int. Film Festival, Special Jury Prize 2005
- Newport, Newport Beach Film Festival, Best Feature Film 2005
- Bellmore, Long Island International Film Expo, Best Feature Film 2004
- Chicago, Chicago Independent Film Festival & Market, Best Director 2004
- New York, Swiss American Film Festival, Award for Best Feature Film 2004