Documentary, 98 min.
by Christian Frei
Switzerland, October 2009
Frei's film takes a humorous and laconic view of the way billionaires depart our planet earth to travel into outer space for fun. “Space Tourists” succeeds in surprising its audience with images and situations that have very little to do with the futuristic fantasy of “space-tourism”. The filmmaker sets up encounters with the least likely people imaginable: places even stranger and more unknown than outer space itself. The film investigates the emotional oscillations of an expensive enterprise and questions the meaning and boundaries of the human spirit and our hunger for adventure and discovery.
Open / CloseCredits
Written by: Christian Frei
World Premiere: October 2009
Original Version: Russian/English/Romanian (german/french subtitles), colour, 35mm, 98 min.
Editing: Christian Frei, Andreas Winterstein
Sound Editing: Florian Eidenbenz
Sound Design: Florian Eidenbenz
Rerecording Sound Mix: Florian Eidenbenz
Music: Edward Artemyev, Jan Garbarek, Steve Reich
Compositing: Patrick Lindenmaier, Paul Avondet
Open / CloseWorldwide Distribution
Open / CloseAwards
- Valtournenche, Cervino Cine Mountain International Mountain Film Festival, Grand Prize of the Grand Prize 2011
- Belgrad, Beldocs, Best Photography Award 2010
- Graz, Int. Berg- und Abenteuer Filmfestival Graz, Grand Prix Documentary Feature 2010
- Katowice, Regio Fun Film Festival, 2nd Award Documentary Film Competition 2010
- Oslo, Oslo European Documentary Film Festival, Eurodok Award 2010
- Park City, Sundance Film Festival, World Cinema Directing Award 2010
- Seoul, EBS International Documentary Film Festival, Special Jury Award 2010