Cleveland Versus Wall Street
Documentary, 105 min.
|Title F:||Cleveland contre Wall Street|
by Jean-Stéphane Bron
Switzerland / France, May 2010
On January 11th, 2008, hired by the City of Cleveland, lawyer Josh Cohen and his team filed a lawsuit against 21 banks, which they held accountable for the wave of foreclosures that had left their city in ruins. Since then, the bankers on Wall Street have been fighting by with all available means to avoid going to court… The film is the story of that trial. A film about a trial that may never be held but in which the facts, the participants and their testimonies are all real: the judge, lawyers, witnesses, even the members of the jury – asked to give their verdict – play their own roles. Step by step, one witness after another, the film takes apart, from a plain, human perspective, the mechanisms of subprime mortgage loans, a system that sent the world economy reeling. A trial for the sake of example, a universal fable about capitalism.
Open / CloseCredits
Written by: Jean-Stéphane Bron
World Premiere: May 2010
Original Version: English (french/english subtitles), colour, 35mm, 105 min.
Séverine Barde, Julien Hirsch
Editing: Simon Jacquet
Location Sound Mix: Jean-Paul Mugel
Sound Editing: Benoît Hillebrand
Music: Christian Garcia
Open / CloseWorldwide Distribution
Open / CloseAwards
- Genève/Zürich, Bundesamt für Kultur, Swiss Film Prize Quartz "Best Documentary Film" 2011
- Lisboa, International Independant Film Festival Lisboa, Amnesty International Award 2011
- Lisboa, International Independant Film Festival Lisboa, Public Award for Best Long Feature Film 2011
- Paris, Académie des Arts et Techniques du Cinéma, César du Meilleur Documentaire 2011 (Nomination)
- Solothurn, Solothurner Filmtage, Prix de Soleure 2011
- München, Filmfest München, Lobende Erwähnung der Jury "One Future Preis" 2010
- Paris, Festival Paris Cinéma, Prix du public 2010